Away with the Fairies

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Where the huckleberries grow

I will take a leaf from Hannah and Danielle's books and will relate my trip to Calgary/Idaho through a list of highlights. These are illustrated by pictures from my new camera (a lovely graduation gift from Fred and Ruby). I spent my parents grad gift on one of our seemingly endless bills, but once my pockets are more lined I will buy a more tangable present. Keep me accountable dear readers!

- Hanging out with the Johnston clan.

- Playing Kubb, a rather bizarre, immensely fun Swedish garden game that involves hurling sticks at another teams sticks. Simple, but immensely fun!

- Going to Calgary zoo, where Drew and Martin were being such a barrel of laughs (Martin needs lessons in how to be politically correct around giraffes!) that I wonder if Danielle and I would have noticed if I had brought a couple of chimps back for fajitas and Settlers that night?! (Martin is officially the ruthless champion of Settlers for another year)

- Finally getting up on a Wake Board and understanding what all the fun was about! This was no minor feat I tell you. I have a longstanding, intense fear of water and can barely swim- thus when the boat pulls me up on the board my legs go to jelly and I topple off with my arms and legs flailing and pure terror written on my face. This year, I tell you, I was more than a conqueror! I gritted my teeth and remembered I was a Stamford- even though I am not officially one anymore, my dad's voice in my head ('err, Stamford's don't give up') seemed to do the trick! After a couple of face plants later I was crossing the wake and... Laughing!

- Watching my husbands rippling muscles as he masters the Wake-Skate!

- Eating Ahi tuna, Tim Hortons, BBQ salmon and steak, huckleberry ketchup, Red River cereal, as well as all kinda crazy delights at the 'Taste of Calgary' festival with Hilary.

- Meeting Dallas' fella, Dan Bjorn- who gained both Drew's and my 'seal of approval' on five counts a) He was a genuine top bloke who was fun to be around b) He clearly adores dallas and makes her smile, c) He is a sufficiently goofy, keeping us entertained with his constant proposals to have mid-morning boat raves and his impressions of Indians (particularly funny considering his base-German accent!) d) His proved that he is 'man enough' for Dallas by winning at 'Steaks'!

- Fred allowing me to be 'captain' for a while!



- Playing fetch with Toby.





- Solving mysteries with Mme Ramotswe in the latest book in the No.1 Ladies
detective agency series.



And a Low-light:
  • - Despite transporting us to a beautiful lake with sunshine and clear sparking water I have no love for the Motorhome. The swaying bumpy and hot box-on-wheels gave me terrible motion sickness. I punished it by puking all over it.
Here are a couple of pictures that are fun for their randomness!

Drew shares a joke with a dog... and why does my floating head always go the wrong way?

2 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Beth! What great pictures, lots of treasures on that trip. Isn't it great having friends all over the world? Martin is so funny. I hope you are over the jet lag now and raring to go. I'm sorry I haven;t called this week, I am off on a 3 days leadership training thing for uni so will call soon. Lots of love!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger bri and shawn said...

beth,
what an entertaining blogsite you have. three cheers to you. and, one of those cheers is for the book you are reading, because i actually JUST TODAY finished that very same first book! isnt it wonderful! i just wanted to share that we share a book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home